Synonyms; Ambras syndrome, HYPERTRICHOSIS
A condition of excessive hair growth anywhere on the body. Both males and females are affected.
It may be congenital (may be caused by reactivation of genes that cause hair growth. These genes ‘turn on’ by some unknown causes, while the baby is in the womb)
It may be acquired (caused by sensitivity of skin to light a condition called porphyria cutanea tarda, eating disorders i.e anorexa nervosa, some drugs i.e androgenic steroids and minoxidil, increased vascularity at specific body parts)
Symptoms of hypertrichosis;
Generally stiff and dark hairs on body + gums and teeth problems i.e teeth may be missing and gums may be enlarged. One of the three types of hairs may be present.
- Vellus; usually short hair located anywhere except soles palms and feet, lips, back of the ears.
- Lanugo; soft and fine hairs, just like hairs on a newborn body.
- Terminal; long and thick dark hairs.
Types of hypertrichosis;
- Congenital Hypertrichosis lanuginosa
- Congenital hypertrichosis terminalis
- Acquired hypertrichosis
This form is limited to females only, characterized by thick hairs growing in body areas where normally hair are never present i.e chest, face and back of the body. In short hirsutism is male pattern distribution of hair on a female body.
causes of hirsutism;
- Higher level of androgens including testosterone
- Poly cystic ovarian syndrome
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Cushing syndrome
- Drugs i.e danazol, minoxidil, cyclosporine
Symptoms of hirsutism;
Increased androgens develops signs overtime called virilization. These are
- Deep voice
- Decreased breast size
- Increased muscular mass
- Enlargement of clitoris
There is no danger related to excess of hair on body but still it may suffers the cosmetic means of a female, plus females becomes self conscious and depressed. Educated females got warned, as they know that hirsutism is marker of hormonal imbalances.
Treatment & prevention;
- Hormones management.
- Oral contraceptives estrogen+progestin treat hirsutism caused by androgens.
- Use of Anti androgens medications i.e spironolactone
- Use of topical cream EFLORNITHINE
- Obese females should reduce their weight.
- Management of life style i.e shaving, plucking, waxing, bleaching etc.
- Electrolysis and laser surgery.