Also known as mucocutaneous lymph node syndrome.
“It is a disease in which blood vessels throughout the body becomes inflamed”.
It is a rare disease occur in children below age of 5 years. Frequency is 124/100,000 but in japan it occurs as 124/100,000.
Boys are affected more than girls.
Autoimmune response of T-cells into vascular antigens.
Signs and symptoms
- High and persistant fever for more than 5 days. Fever is not responsive to paracetamol and ibuprofen.
- Erythema of oral cavity, cracking of lips and “strawberry tongue”.
- Red eyes, bilateral non supporative conjunctivitis.
- Edema of limbs.
- Rashes in lips, palm, soles and genitals.
- Sore throat and diarrhea.
Coronary arteries aneurysm, which leads to myocardial infarction and sudden death.
- Total blood count, normocytic anemia & thrombocytopenia.
- Elevated ESR.
- ECG shows ventricular dysfunctions and arrhythmia.
- Proteinuria on urine analysis.
- Intravenous immunoglobulins (IVIG).
- Aspirin therapy (aspirin is a rare recommendation for children, as it is associated with Reye’s syndrome)
- Corticosteroids may used when other treatment fails.